May 22-24, 2020
Building with Earth: Cob, Clay Plasters & Adobe Blocks; Construction Details
Each workshop is organized into two parts, the weekend Intensive (Friday through Sunday) will include the bulk of theoretical and practical training, followed by a 4-day Practicum (Monday through Thursday) focused on hands-on building experience. Participants are encouraged to attend both the workshop and practicum for the full experience which is incentivized by a reduced workshop tuition.
Workshops fees include an all organic, local as possible lunch and dinner as well as camping/housing options. As harvest time progresses we'll be eating more & more from the garden on site. Fee also includes optional guided early morning yoga class.
For friends interested in going deep we are inviting 6 people to do an immersion through the Natural building series. This immersion allows participants to attend workshops for a discounted rate and have all meals provided in exchange for weekly work hours, primarily toward building, but also other supportive tasks for workshop prep and facility maintenance.
Description: More fun with clay, straw, and sticks! Building on what we learned in the previous workshop, we will branch out into other earthen wall systems and begin the finishing process.
• Make adobe blocks from clay soil mixed with straw or other fibers
• Build different styles of earthen arches, with and without forms
• Make several types of wattle and daub, a sculptural, thin earthen wall made of sticks, clay and straw
• Learn the steps to turn a raw earthen or straw bale wall into a finished, durable wall by applying plasters made of clay and lime.
• Understand how to connect multiple natural wall systems together in a strong, efficient hybrid home
The extended practicum will include more wall building and much more experience with earthen plasters.
Three-day Intensive Fee: 400$-800$ sliding scale
Weekday Practicum Fee: 40-80 sliding scale
Interested in doing our immersion for a discount?
Click HERE to contact us!