Natural Building Wall Systems II: Adobe, Cob, Wattle and Daub, Arches, & Clay Plasters
Each workshop is organized into two parts, the weekend Intensive (Friday through Sunday) will include the bulk of theoretical and practical training, followed by a 4-day Practicum (Monday through Thursday) focused on hands-on building experience. Participants are encouraged to attend both the workshop and practicum for the full experience which is incentivized by a reduced workshop tuition.
Workshops fees include an all organic, local as possible lunch and dinner as well as camping/housing options. As harvest time progresses we'll be eating more & more from the garden on site. Fee also includes optional guided early morning yoga class.
For friends interested in going deep we are inviting 6 people to do an immersion through the Natural building series. This immersion allows participants to attend workshops for free and have all meals provided in exchange for weekly work hours, primarily toward building, but also other supportive tasks for workshop prep and facility maintenance.
Description: More fun with clay, straw, and sticks! Building on what we learned in the previous workshop, we will branch out into other earthen wall systems and begin the finishing process.
• Make adobe blocks from clay soil mixed with straw or other fibers
• Build different styles of earthen arches, with and without forms
• Make several types of wattle and daub, a sculptural, thin earthen wall made of sticks, clay and straw
• Learn the steps to turn a raw earthen or straw bale wall into a finished, durable wall by applying plasters made of clay and lime.
• Understand how to connect multiple natural wall systems together in a strong, efficient hybrid home
The extended practicum will include more wall building and much more experience with earthen plasters.
Three-day Intensive Fee: 400$-800$ sliding scale
Weekday Practicum Fee: 250$-500$ sliding scale
Interested in doing our immersion for a discount?
Click HERE to contact us!